Irish Surname - Cauley
Origin of the Irish surname Cauley
The Irish surname Cauley is an anglicized form of the Gaelic name "O' Cadhla", which means "descendant of Cadhla". The name Cadhla comes from the Irish word "cadhla" which means "attractive" or "graceful". The surname is most commonly found in the province of Munster, particularly in County Cork.
Variations of the surname Cauley include: O' Cadhla, Cadhla, Cahill, Cawley, Caley, Cauley, and Kealy.
Notable People with the surname Cauley
- Bud Cauley - American professional golfer, born in Jacksonville, Florida in 1990. He turned professional in 2011 and has competed on the PGA Tour and Web.com Tour.
Variations of the Irish surname Cauley
- O' Cadhla - this is the original Gaelic form of the name and means "descendant of Cadhla".
- Cadhla - this is the Gaelic name that the surname Cauley is derived from. It means "attractive" or "graceful".
- Cahill - this surname is also derived from the Gaelic name Cadhla. It is most commonly found in the province of Munster.
- Cawley - this surname is an anglicized form of the Irish name Mac Amhalghaidh, which means "son of Amhalghaidh". It is most commonly found in the province of Connacht.
- Caley - this surname is a variant of the name Cauley and is most commonly found in the United States.
- Kealy - this surname is another variant of the name Cauley and is most commonly found in County Kilkenny.
Cauley Coat of Arms
The coat of arms for the Cauley family is described as: "Argent (silver) with a chevron azure (blue) between three lions' heads erased gules (red)".
The motto associated with the Cauley family is "Fide et Fortitudine", which means "By faith and fortitude".
There is often limited information available on a specific coat of arms and motto for an Irish surname. Sometimes there are many variations, sometimes none, we have compiled a representative, but by no means exhaustive, selection. Please visit our Coat of Arms and Motto page for more information.
DNA And Your Irish Roots
- DNA and your Irish Heritage
- DNA, Discovery and Functions
- Types of DNA tests
- DNA testing companies
- Y-chromosome and Father's Ancestral Line
- Mitochondrial DNA and Mother's Ancestral Line
- DNA and Ethnicity